The Diamond Shield of the Insignia symbolizes the division’ steadfastness and determination to carry out its role of National Defense. The device (Four-Pointed Morning Star) in the shield symbolizes the Divisions’ numerical designation. The Blue background signifies each member’s Purity of devotion in accomplishment the mission assigned by the Command. The White color of the device signifies the unstinted loyalty, integrity, sterling qualities and traits of the officers, men and women serving with the division. The Birth of 4th Infantry (Diamond) Division: Formerly called the IV Military Area (IVMA/ID)
In January 15, 1946 right after the World War II and upon the reestablishment of the Commonwealth Government, all Military Districts (MD) Pursuant to Section 1, General Orders Number 46 of HAFP dated 08 January 1946 were converted into MILITARY AREAS on the following locations: The 1st Military Area (IMA) and the 2nd Military Area (IIMA) in Luzon, the 3rd Military Area (IIIMA) in Visayas and the 4th Military Area (IVMA) in Mindanao. The remaining forces of the 10th MD were merged with the Military Police Command (MPC) based at Camp Overtone in Iligan City.
In 1946 to 1947, all remaining regular members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) in the Far East were reprocessed. As a result, those who lack the necessary skills were discharged from the military service while some personnel went on AWOL and never returned to duty. Later, the IVMA forces were moved in Brgy Patag, Cagayan de Oro City and established its Headquarters at the old 10th MD Headquarters which is now the HHSBn building situated right after the Post Evangelical Church, the former Post Movie Theater with the Reserve Army Group (RAG) Office. On 06 May 1948, the 10th Military District was renamed into 4th Military Area (IVMA). The unit was the designated military force with jurisdiction over Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago with LTC CERIACO MORTERA as its Commander. Subsequently, the personnel and equipment from the defunct 10th Military District were reorganized based on the prescribed table of organization and equipment (TOE) of the IVMA while performing its mandated mission.
In 1949 to 1950 when COL CERIACO MORTERA was still the Military Area Commander, the IVMA has a sole military tactical element called the “NENITA Unit” composed of a Company (-) under COL VALLERIANO. During the period, the unit was deployed in Jolo, Sulu for the conduct of JAKIRI Campaign targeting the notorious bandit (JAKIRI) operating in the said province. As the unit executed its campaign, several casualties were inflicted among its rank when the unit was ambushed at KUTA PAPAYA, Jolo, Sulu. As a result of the incident, the unit’s strength was wiped-out with only seven (7) soldiers as survivors.
In 1950 still under the same Military Area Commander (COL MORTERA), Governor Pasencio Ysalina of Misamis Oriental Province renamed the 4th Military Area as Camp Edilberto T Evangelista in honor of GEN EDILBERTO T EVANGELISTA (the famous Army Engineer General of the Philippine revolution that defended Binakayan Bridge at Cavite through the use of indigenous fortification from the heavy Spanish onslaught). On 20 February 1951, IVMA enlisted 380 young recruits and were brought to Camp Overtone, Iligan City for 3 months training. These trainees were organized to man the 9th BCT, the newly activated unit under COL GEORGE GANDUS. The unit was immediately dispatched in PANAY ISLAND for HUK Campaign to run after the group of Capadocia, the Huk Commander operating in the said area. The unit boarded the Navy LST at the Timinobo Beach situated at the right side of Camp Overtone. The unit was then composed of eight (8) companies namely; HHSVCo, Recon company under CPT BILLEDO, Item Company under CPT ALMUJETE, King Company, Love Company, Mike Company under CPT CALO and two other Companies with 1,000 personnel. The Campaign lasted only for 6 months. After which at the later part of 1951, right after the neutralization of Capadocia, the forces of 9th BCT returned to Mindanao and were deployed around Lake Lanao.
In 1951 to 1952 during the time of COL CORNELIO LOPEZ, the IVMA Commanding Officer when the entire unit of 9th BCT executed the punitive operation around Lake Lanao for the conduct of manhunt operation against the group of Tawan-Tawan, a notorious maranao bandit based at Binadayan, Pualas and Taraka who operates in the province of Lanao. During this campaign, the 9th BCT contributed the biggest accomplishment to the command wherein the unit was able to confiscate three (3) truckloads of assorted HPFAs through house to house search as part of the ongoing punitive operation that led to the surrender of TAWAN-TAWAN together with his followers through the effort of ALI DIMAPORO in Lanao. The group was then accepted by RAMON MAGSAYSAY, who was then the Secretary of National Defense.
In 1952 right after the conduct of punitive operations, the 9th BCT forces were moved to Dansalan (now Marawi City) and stayed in the area for 2 months. Later, the troops moved back to Jolo, Sulu for the KAMLON Campaign aboard LST that landed at Tominobo Beach in Overtone, Iligan City. After which, the unit was deployed in Camp Andres, Jolo, Sulu and conducted combat operations all throughout the archipelago.
On 30 April 1953, COL RAFAEL RODRIGUEZ assumed command as the IVMA commander and served the unit for 2 months until 30 June 1953.
On 01 July 1953, COL ELPIDIO L RAYMUNDO assumed command as the IVMA commander and his stint lasted until 16 February 1954. Sometime in 1953, as the 9th BCT fought hand in hand against the notorious bandit KAMLON and through the negotiation effort exerted by the government through Princess TARHATA, the Sultan of Sulu’s daughter, Kamlon surrendered and returned to the folds of law and was accepted personally by Secretary RAMON MAGSAYSAY together with GEN DUQUE, AFP Chief of Staff, COL CORNELIO LOPEZ and COL CARDENAS, Chief of Staff IVMA. The group of Kamlon was received in Jolo Sulu.